[Lingtyp] ELAN FLEx ELAN round trip

Alexandre Arkhipov sarkipo at yandex.ru
Mon Jan 23 13:26:18 UTC 2023

Dear Eline and all,

As far as I can see, GRAID annotations would be mostly word-level
annotations (not sentence-level), and FLEx only supports sentence-level
custom tiers so far. Importing any kind of word analysis is very tricky
(and not supported by FLEx itself as of now).
We're trying to import glosses but that's relying on the information
stored in the lexicon (so we have to update the lexicon and also the
word analyses). While annotations like grammatical functions or
information status do not belong to the lexicon, they would need to be
stored as "word glosses" in FLEx, and you'd probably need some extra
writing systems to simulate extra word-level tiers.
An alternative would be to keep GRAID annotations in ELAN and merge them
with the glossing when you're done with the rest of analysis in FLEx.

Best,
Sasha