[Lingtyp] Transitive verbs with both active and passive readings

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 09:41:07 UTC 2023

Hi Jianming,
It seems you are operating with a very narrow view of topic-comment. For me, topic is a relation to the comment; it is what the predicate is about. You seem to restrict topics such that actors are not considered topics in an AVP clause. Information structure can’t really be talked about without including the prosody of the clause. In the case of AVP, if the A is represented by an unstressed reference phrase, then it may be the topic of the predication.

I did not say all clauses were topic-comment; Y. R. Chao said that. I said all clauses in Mandarin can be explained using Knud Lambrecht’s typology of focus structures, which includes, aside from topic-comment (what he called “Predicate focus”), narrow focus on a single element of the clause (his “argument focus") and where the whole clause is in focus (what he called "sentence focus”). As I have explained (LaPolla and Poa 2005, 2006; LaPolla 2009; see also LaPolla 2017a and 2017b, 2023), you can explain the different constructions (clause types) in Mandarin using this typology and combinations of the different focus types. So, for example, a very frequent clause type in Mandarin is one type that Chao talked about as topic-comment without a topic, which means the whole clause is in focus, e.g. 下雨了 Xià yǔ le [fall rain change.of.state.aspect] ‘It’s raining'. This type presents the occurrence of an event or the introduction of a new referent, usually by having the involved referent appear in post-verbal position so it will not be understood as the topic of the clause. A narrow focus can be achieved with prosody alone, or by using a cleft structure.

Focus structures can be combined, e.g. in the famous example(王冕)七岁时 . . . 死了父親 Wáng Miǎn qı̄ suì shí sǐ-le fùqīn [PN seven yrs.old time . . . die-PFV father] ‘Wang Mian suffered the dying of his father when he was seven years old’. This is a topic-comment structure, but in this case the comment takes the form an event-presentative clause, ‘the father died’, which is then predicated of the topic, ‘Wang Mian’.
There are also constructions where the comment of a topic-comment construction is also a topic-comment construction, e.g. 我肚子餓了 Wǒ dùzi è-le [1sg belly hungry-PFV] 'I am such that my belly is hungry’, where the structure is [topic [topic-comment]] as the whole embedded [topic-comment] is a comment about me, but there is a secondary topic in that comment, so there is also a comment about my belly. The odd translation is because it contrasts with two other different information structure constructions: 我餓了肚子 Wǒ è-le dùzi [1sg hungry-PFV belly] ‘I suffered the hungriness of my belly’, where the belly is part of an event-presentative structure, so this example is the same focus structure as the Wang Mian example (it is actually quite common and not a special or odd structure); 我的肚子餓了 Wǒ-de dùzi è-le [[1sg-ASSOC belly] hungry-PFV] ‘My belly is hungry’, where ‘I’ and the belly form one constituent instead of two, and it is a simple predicate focus (topic-comment) structure.

I also did not say that placement of the reference phrase in preverbal position necessarily implies a passive reading. It depends on context and intonation.

I don’t think there is any semantics outside of particular uses in particular contexts, and I don’t think you can separate information structure from what you are calling “the logic of a prototypical transitive sentence”; in natural data all utterances have an information structure.

I doubt I have convinced you, so we will not bore the LingTyp crowd with any more back and forth, we will just agree to disagree.

All the best,
Randy