[Lingtyp] Swearwords as a negator and/or minimizer: a cross-linguistic perspective

Stefan Savić stefansavicz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 12:45:32 UTC 2023

Dear Pun Ho Lui, Dear All,

In BCMS/Serbocroatian one can also use the genitive singular form
*đavola *("devil")
in the same function, now hardly considered a swear word per se, but once
it definitely was (along with other religious terms). As a matter of fact,
in numerous such instances, the nominative singular *kurac* is often
replaceable with the genitive singular *đavola *(whereby the latter sounds
considerably milder than the former).

Best,
Stefan