[Lingtyp] Swearwords as a negator and/or minimizer: a cross-linguistic perspective

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 13:01:05 UTC 2023

Dear Pun Ho Lui,

In Russian strong speech, 'penis' is used as a non-referential NP in
different type of emphatic negation; including constructions very similar
to what you quote. See for examples, some way below. Note that "ни" is a
negative particle distinct from regular negative "не" and commonly (though
not exclusively) used under the scope of clausal negation; I am not sure
how to gloss it.

Sincerely,

Michael Daniel

он         ни    хуя                  не    знает
he.nom not   penis-Sg.Gen not    knows
'he does not know anything at all'

хуй                    тебе,             а     не   деньги
penis.Sg.Nom    you.sg-Dat,  and  not  money
'You are not getting anything, you are not (instead of) getting any money'

ни      хуя                 (подобн-ого)
not     penis-Sg.Gen (similar-N.Sg.Gen)
'Nothing like that at all!'