[Lingtyp] Swearwords as a negator and/or minimizer: a cross-linguistic perspective

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Jun 13 13:37:08 UTC 2023

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Jespersen already discussed
this phenomenon to some extent in his 1917 monograph on negation, and it
was extended by many including Ross & Postal, Horn, and others (e.g.,
'squatitive negation' as in 'You don't know doodly-squat.')

For the sake of typology, some of the Hebrew terms for penis (mainly *zayin*
and *zibbi*, the latter a loanword) also show the behavior mentioned by Pun
Ho Lui, Misha, and others.