[Lingtyp] Swearwords as a negator and/or minimizer: a cross-linguistic perspective

Pun Ho Lui luiph001 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 15:02:28 UTC 2023

Dear All,

Thank you for the active engagement in this vey cultured conversation regarding shit and sexual organs.

It seems that swearwords in most of the examples are being nominal, functioning similar to ’nothing/anything', with only my Cantonese example (1) being negator-like—preceding a predicate without being part of the argument structure.

If the nominal swearwords are indeed similar to ‘nothing’/ ‘anything’, do they indicate a sentential-level negation? Or should they be an NPI?

Warmest,
Joe