[Lingtyp] PhD position (Jena): Bimodal multilingual corpus linguistics (European languages)

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Wed Jun 14 06:06:54 UTC 2023

PhD position at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena (Germany):
Bimodal multilingual corpus linguistics

The Department of English and American Studies at the Friedrich Schiller
University Jena invites applications for a PhD position in the area of
comparative corpus linguistics. The position will be situated in the
project 'Bimodal corpus-based language comparison. A study of
connectives of contingency in European languages', funded by the German
Science Foundation. The successful candidate is expected to hold a
degree in General or English linguistics or a related field (e.g.
Romance or Slavic Studies, Computational linguistics). They should
ideally have experience working with (multilingual) corpora and at least
basic programming skills (R, Python). For more information, please see
the project description below and do not hesitate to contact me at
volker.gast at uni-jena.de for further information.

Deadline: 10 July, 2023
Start date: open until filled
Salary: according to the TV-L salary scale (65%), see for instance
https://linktype.iaa.uni-jena.de/VG/GEW-Entgelttabelle-TVL.pdf
Time of employment: 36 months

Please send your application to volker.gast at uni-jena.de with CV and
statement of research interests (letters of reference are optional);
official address: Prof. Volker Gast, Department of Englisha and American
Studies, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Ernst-Abbe-Platz 8, 07743
Jena, Germany
Reference number: 173/2023 (must be mentioned for administrative purposes)

Project description

The project deals with connectives expressing a conditional, causal or
concessive relation, such as English `if, `because' and `although'. We
use a bimodal translation corpus (EPTIC-J) to study the use and
distribution of relevant connectives in twenty European national
languages. The EPTIC-J corpus contains transcripts of speeches delivered
in the European Parliament as well as their simultaneous interpretations
and written translations into the other languages of the European Union.
This corpus design allows us to examine connectives in terms of their
distribution in the original language as well as cross-linguistic
correspondences reflected in the (offline/written as well as
simultaneous/spoken) translations. Contingency connectives are
interpretatively complex, insofar as they have a truth-functional
interpretation and at the same time trigger communicative effects at the
level of discourse and argumentation. The main questions of the project
are (i) how aspects of meaning at different levels of interpretation map
onto aspects of linguistic form (distribution of subordinators and
linear arrangement of sentences), and (ii) what degrees of cognitive
load are associated with particular connectives and the relations they
express. To answer question (i), we use only the written part of the
corpus. For question (ii), we rely on the interpretation data, using the
choice of a translation option and the `ear-voice-span' (EVS/décalage)
as indicators of cognitive load. By applying a new methodology (bimodal
comparative corpus analysis) to the study of a topic that has been
treated from different perspectives (typology, sentence semantics,
discourse/conversation and argumentation), in particular by integrating
spoken data, we will look at generalizations made in previous work from
a new perspective.