[Lingtyp] The purpose of convergence and divergence?

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 18:46:29 UTC 2023

I've had to deal with this sort of thing in the abstract as I analyze the
phonosemantics of individual segments in ideophones in natural languages.
For example, in Korean ideophones with initial /m-/, there is a strong
sense of 'homogenization' in such a way that any distinguishing features
(primarily on the surface of the object being described) are being lost or
equilibrated. It is as if the parts are coupling together into a larger
whole, and divergences are being minimized.

Jess Tauber

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>