[Lingtyp] Grammaticalization of past/resultative meaning from "stay"

Elad Eisen elad.eisen at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Mar 6 21:12:58 UTC 2023

Dear Östen, Wesley, and all,
The development (REMAIN > CHANGE OF STATE) seems to be shared by more than
one language outside of the Circum-Baltic languages, including not only
Spanish *quedar (se) *but also Italian *rimanere*, Arabic *baqiya*, and
Neo-Aramaic *pyāša*.

Some references and examples can be found in the abstract of a talk I gave,
where I suggested a grammaticalization path for the change REMAIN >
CHANGE OF STATE:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEYwMlbX_h5ODY5b2o5enlweGRUZFN0bW8xOGpMTjRfQzFj/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-PXh0LtFFyyIXizAWhTywoA

Elad

Eisen, E. (2019, April 8). From remain to become: a static source for
change of state verbs [Conference presentation abstract]. The International
Conference for Graduate Students on Diverse Approaches to Linguistics,
Jerusalem, Israel.