[Lingtyp] Truc, machin and friends

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 14:00:16 UTC 2023

In Yahgan, a recently extinct genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego, the
form a:ki (colon here marks tenseness of the vowel preceding it), which
when grammaticalized is used as a kind of definite article, has the sense
of 'he, she, it, something, someone, indefinitely used, as when we cannot
recall to mind the name of the thing or person, as when we say Mr.....,
what's his name?'. Etymologically possibly from (u:)koali 'one'.

Note also the form kvmaka:ta (v schwa) (Used only when ignorant of the
coming person, i.e. not knowing who he is) 'There is somebody coming'.
Analysis: kv- normal coreference pronoun prefix on verb 3rd person
(generic), ma- passive voice prefix, ka:ta 'come' (kvka:ta  'he comes, is
coming'). kvmaka:ta also defined here as 'There is someone coming, somebody
is coming'.  Note also probably etymologically related ga:ta 'near, nigh,
close, touching, i.e. no distance off', and ha:ta 'near, nigh, in the
neighborhood'.

Source- Bridges, Thomas, Yamana-English Dictionary (published in 1933 with
the editors renaming the language using the term 'yamana' (person, man).
The term Yahgan itself (phonetically Ya:gan) was an artificially created
name by the missionary Bridges from the name of the center of their
territory, Yahga Strait (Ya:gasha:ga). Manuscript of the dictionary
originally completed between 1877-79.