[Lingtyp] copula as focus marker

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 08:24:50 UTC 2023

Dear Christian,
let me add an example from another area. In Nakh-Daghestanian, focus
constructions with a "displaced" copula following a focused constituent are
common, although usually the predicate takes a non-finite form. However, at
least in Godoberi (< Avar-Andic), the focus marker =da co-occurs with the
finite aorist (perfective past) in past-tense declarative clauses:

ʕali-di=da hanq’u b-iɬi.
Ali-ERG=FOC house N-build.AOR
‘ALI built the house.’ (Kazenin 1996: 228)

The Godoberi enclitic present-tense copula is also =da, and it is
impossible to use both the focus marker =da and the copula =da in one
clause (e.g. when =da is also part of a periphrastic form). Discussing the
origin of the focalizer =da, Kazenin (1996: 229) suggests a “floating
analysis”, claiming that that both da-morphemes “are instances of one and
the same grammatical element, or, to put it more simply, that focus is
marked by the copula attached to a focused constituent instead of a verb”.
However, in examples like the one above, =da can be already described as a
grammaticalized focalizer which is only diachronically related to the
copula, but is now a separate grammatical item (because the "aorist +
copula" combination does not occur as a periphrastic tense-aspect form).

Kazenin, Konstantin. 1996. Focus constructions and WH-questions. In
Aleksandr E. Kibrik (ed.), Godoberi, 227–236. München: LINCOM Europa.

Best,
Timur Maisak