[Lingtyp] sources: p-word inside and smaller than g-word

Woodbury, Anthony C woodbury at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 28 23:15:01 UTC 2023

Hi Adam,

Eric Campbell’s dissertation on the phonology and morphology of Zenzontepec Chatino is a good example of what you are looking for, and furthermore defines its terms carefully and then supports the p-word inside g-word claim carefully. He concludes (p. 319):

"As the discussion in this section has shown, the structure of Zenzontepec Chatino is such that a single grammatical word often consists of several phonological words since component stems in compounds and all enclitics behave as separate phonological words. This is especially the case for verbs, which is where the majority of the morphology is found in the language. The converse is not true, as there are only a few cases where two grammatical words join to form one phonological word, as is the case in contractions (§5.8).”

And this is a conclusion one can readily come to for a Zapotecan language, since the host for tonemes or tunes is rarely more than three syllables and isolable, and uniquely hosts a variety of phonological or morphophonological processes; while verbal templates range over domains containing potentially many of these tone hosting units.

Tony

Campbell, Eric W. 2014. Aspects of the phonology and morphology of Zenzontepec Chatino, an Zapotecan language of Oaxaca, Mexico. University of Texas at Austin Doctoral Dissertation.