[Lingtyp] Praat script for automatically segmenting vowels?

Pegi Bakula pegi at buffalo.edu
Fri Mar 31 22:11:20 UTC 2023

Hi Cat,

Without knowing the specifics of your situation, there are plenty of
options available for speech recognition. Which one to choose will depend
on a number of factors, of course. Two programs that quickly come to mind
are the Praat plug-in EasyAlign and the Montreal Forced Aligner. Either one
of these can autosegment down to the phone level. I've never tried
EasyAlign, but I'd guess as a plug-in it would be fairly straightforward. I
have used the MFA, and will admit there is some amount of work that goes
into using it... at least for what I'm using it for.

I hope that helps, though I'm sure there are plenty of people here who can
offer better suggestions.

Cheers,
Pegi