[Lingtyp] what is designated by a complement clause

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Mon May 8 16:50:18 UTC 2023

Dear Christian – In your first post, you did not ask about a classification of predicates, but about semantic properties that distinguish complement types:

“Here is my question: Does anyone know of a generally applicable criterion or even a language-independent test frame which enables me to determine whether a given dependent clause designates a second-order or a third-order entity? Or are there contexts which are indeterminate in principle or where the distinction does not apply? I would be very grateful for advice.”

That’s what I was responding to, and my response is that in my view, the best semantic criterion for distinguishing between propositional and eventive complements is that the former occur with propositional attitude predicates, whereas the latter occur with predicates of event manipulation. The rationale here is that complements of propositional attitude predicates must represent objects of propositional attitudes, i.e., propositions, whereas complements of event manipulation predicates must represent objects of event manipulation, i.e., events.

Your observation that English has non-finite complements in propositional attitude contexts if matrix coding is added to the mix is of course well-taken, but does not invalidate the bootstrapping procedure I was suggesting, since as I think I pointed out, finiteness is only a weak secondary correlate. Finiteness is a morphosyntactic property, and as is often if not usually the case with morphosyntactic properties, its use/distribution has multiple competing semantic conditioning factors.

You now ask for a comprehensive semantic classification of complement-taking predicates. There are comprehensive classifications, but I’m not sure to what extent they are based on semantic analyses of the predicates as opposed to typological observations of common co-occurrence patterns vis-à-vis particular complement types. An example is the classification of complement-taking predicates in Role and Reference Grammar (Van Valin 2005: 205-213; a revised and more detailed version will appear in the Handbook of Role and Reference Grammar, whose release is apparently imminent<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/cambridge-handbook-of-role-and-reference-grammar/0F834474677B1A15246E0C96CA5449C1>).

Best – Juergen

Van Valin, R. Jr. (2005). Exploring the syntax-semantics interface. Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu<mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)

There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)