[Lingtyp] what is designated by a complement claus

Lixin Jin jinlixin at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 06:15:15 UTC 2023

Dear Colleagues,

The extension of the concept of complement is a bit ambiguous. I don't even know how to determine what a complement is sometimes. Perhaps different languages have different complements (e.g. Chinese complements). What is the definition of "complement" we are talking about? Are the logical criteria for determining complements the same as those for attributive and adverbial? It would be interesting to know. Thanks!

Lixin