[Lingtyp] 回复: what is designated by a complement claus

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Tue May 9 16:24:15 UTC 2023

Am 09.05.23 um 18:17 schrieb Lixin Jin:

> Thank you, Sir! Sorry, maybe there was a problem with my formulation.
> I meant that both attributive and adverbial have operational
> definitions, for example, attributive is a modifier of a noun, and
> adverbial is a modifier of a verb. What about complements?

I follow the definition given in Peter H. Matthews's book on /Syntax/: A
complement is a dependent provided for in the valency of its head. The
head is most often thought to be a verb, but can be anything that has
valency.
Neither this definition nor the ones mentioned by you are operational.
The criteria for the analysis of a dependency relation as a complement
relation (i.e. the criteria for valency), as well as for its analysis as
a modifying relation, are a different problem, also treated by Matthews.
--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4

Tel.: 	+49/361/2113417