[Lingtyp] Pronouns, politeness, political correctness

Peter Slomanson slomanson at gmail.com
Wed May 10 19:28:56 UTC 2023

Difficult for me to resist responding to the last parenthetical comment in
an interesting discussion. In certain heavily Sri Lankan Malay-speaking
communities, /se/ is understood, but only very rarely used, whereas /go/ is
used in all social contexts. The split you describe is basically no longer
there, though it remains in other parts of the country. I'm not
contradicting the accuracy of your observation or its relevance, only
adding the dialect variation.

Best,
Peter Slomanson