[Lingtyp] 回复: Pronouns, politeness, political correctness

PONSONNET Maia maia.ponsonnet at cnrs.fr
Thu May 11 09:49:19 UTC 2023

Hello,

I'm a native speaker of French, have lived in Australia many years, currently back in France.

I'm happy to go with the flow wrt pronouns. I'm also a user of "écriture inclusive" and "inclusive language" in general.

In my experience things are not at the same stage wrt pronouns in Australia (more like the States) and in France.

My impression is that there aren't many clear habits about this in France yet (aside from specific circles, surely).

Such a discrepancy should be kept in mind.

The French could have decent reasons for being less keen on this pronoun game.

It is well known (and has been extensively studied) that personal reference is an arena for displays and implementation of power hierarchies (tu/vous, Javanese registers). Introducing further differentiation (via personal preference) could open the door to more of these social layering games, and foreground gender. So perhaps collapsing or ignoring distinctions isn't such a terrible option (here, using "they" through out?).

Again, keen to do whatever to not hurt or be rude to anyone.

But we should not ignore cultural differences and nuanced analyses.

Cheers, Maïa

Maïa Ponsonnet

Chargée de Recherche HDR @ CNRS Dynamique Du Langage

14, avenue Berthelot, 69007 Lyon, FRANCE  -- +33 4 72 72 65 46

Adjunct @ University of Western Australia

+ + + + +

Co-rédactrice en chef du Journal de la Société des Océanistes

https://journals.openedition.org/jso/