[Lingtyp] allophony of [h] and [ɸ]

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Sat May 20 06:20:55 UTC 2023

Dear all,

many thanks for your helpful answers so far. For additional
clarification, here are the Cabecar phoneme inventories:

 1.

    /Oral vowel phonemes in strong syllables/

front

back

unrounded

rounded

high

half-high

half-low

low

Plus nasal vowels.

 1.

    /Consonantal phonemes/

articulation    place

mode

bilabial

dental

palatal

velar

glottal

stop

voiceless

plain

aspirated

pʰ

tʰ

kʰ

voiced

fricative

liquid

As may be seen, there is plenty of bilabial stops, but no labial
fricatives; there is no [f] even at the phonetic level.

While the change from [p] via [ɸ] to [h] seems to be the solution for
the Japanese and Cariban facts, the Cabecar system would not seem to
encourage positing it for this language.

I am aware that [u] [ɯ] and [ɸ] share a bilabial articulation. However,
I have never seen a _phonological_ feature [bilabial]. Maybe I must
revive Jakobson's [flat].

The details of the alternation of [h] ~ [ɸ] remain to be ascertained. At
any rate, there is free variation [h] ~ [x] (or maybe [χ]).

Greetings, Christian
--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4