[Lingtyp] [ɸ] - [h]

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Wed May 24 15:05:48 UTC 2023

Dear Jérémy and everybody,

you are drawing attention to the fact that, no matter whether we call
the feature [labial] or [rounded], it is shared by /u/ and /o/. This
calls into question the initial assumption:

No labiality or roundedness feature is responsible for [h] becoming [ɸ]
before [u]/[ɯ]. What seems to count, instead, is [+high, +back].
However, [ɸ] does not share [+back] with these vowels, and shares
[+high] with front vowels, too.

Your solution is that [+high, +back] increases the value of [labial] to
[++ labial]. (For both [u] and [ɯ]?)

An alternative approach would be to doubt that [h] -> [ɸ] / __ [u]/[ɯ]
is at all a process of assimilation. But what is it then?

Cheers,

Christian

E-Post: 	christianw_lehmann at arcor.de
Web: 	https://www.christianlehmann.eu