[Lingtyp] Alignment Typology and problems with Ainu

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Fri May 26 05:20:10 UTC 2023

Dear James,
That there are different patterns found in different constructions is not a problem, and not rare. Even English does not have a consistent alignment pattern in all constructions. This has been known since the work of Van Valin and Foley going back to the late 1970’s. This is a major argument for treating grammatical categories as construction-based rather than global categories in the language. Of course grammaticalization of the morphemes is also construction based (event based), and so that is another factor. Just analyse the language inductively, without assuming any necessary uniformity across constructions. Language is not a single tight logical system, it is human behaviour, and as diverse and messy as the rest of our behaviour. Enjoy the messiness!

All the best,
Randy
——
Professor Randy J. LaPolla(罗仁地), PhD FAHA
Center for Language Sciences
Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences
Beijing Normal University at Zhuhai
A302, Muduo Building, #18 Jinfeng Road, Zhuhai City, Guangdong, China

https://randylapolla.info <https://randylapolla.info/>
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6100-6196

邮编:519087
广东省珠海市唐家湾镇金凤路18号木铎楼A302