[Lingtyp] Greenbergian word order universals: confirmed after all

Gerhard Jäger gerhard.jaeger at uni-tuebingen.de
Sat Nov 4 06:56:02 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Let me add my two cents to this discussion.

The fact that Dunn et al. 2011 sparked the discussion in the special
issue of LT back then, and still inspires discussions and research
today, proves quite convincingly, I believe, that it was an important
contribution.

Martin, you write, "Greenberg's (1963) claims were based on his
knowledge of hundreds of languages (and on earlier research by W.
Schmidt), not only on his very small and very skewed 30-language sample,
but the fact that most of his universals stood the test of time (despite
his very imperfect methods) seems to show that what mattered primarily
was the novel (universalistic and quantitative) perspective that he
took, not so much the methods."
I am sure you are right, but what were these hundreds of languages, and
what did Greenberg know about them? This touches on the issue of
*replicability*. When I embarked on the research culminating in Jäger &
Wahle (2021), I tried to replicate Dunn et al. I wrote my own code, and
I use different phylogenies, and I got got almost precisely the same
results as the ones they reported.

Let me emphasize - I only used the description of methods in Dunn et al.
(2011), not the original code, but replication worked without problems.
This is more than what can be said of a substantial portion of
scientific papers. It demonstrates the robustness of the results. One
may legitimately disagree on the conclusions the authors drew, but the
reported results per se are rock solid.

I want to conclude with an observation I was told by a classical
archaeologist. According to him, when carbon dating started in the
1950s, the results were often in stark contrast to received
archaeological insights. Still, those clueless physicists got there
papers published in Nature, to the dismay of the archaeologists. Over
time, the problems of the naive use of carbon dating were ironed out,
and carbon dating is now an indispensable part of the archaeologist's
toolkit.

Best, Gerhard

On 11/4/23 07:24, Martin Haspelmath wrote:

> Many thanks, Simon, for offering your author's perspective on this old
> paper!
>
> You are certainly right that "the scientific process" can sometimes be
> slow, and it may take a while for wrong conclusions to be corrected.
> We should of course not be discouraged from trying out novel methods
> just because they may initially yield strange results.
>
> However, I found your 2011 paper very confusing because it was
> published in such a prominent place, seemingly betraying very high
> confidence in the results. It was only recently that I heard from a
> good source that the authors now agree with the earlier criticism that
> the sample size was too small in 2011, and two of them are now
> coauthors of the new forthcoming paper (with MUCH more data) that
> Annemarie Verkerk reported on recently. So that's a good developement.
>
> Maybe that new paper will come out in /Nature/, too, and then all will
> be well, as the 2011 paper will fall into oblivion. (But since the new
> paper mostly confirms older Greenbergian perspectives, /Nature/ may
> not find the results novel enough...)
>
> But I'm still confused about the three points you make:
>
> First, your paper *didn't* show that Matthew Dryer's (1992)
> correlation method was "overly simplistic" – on the contrary, while
> some of the claims made in the 1970s were overly simplistic, Dryer
> showed that the Greenbergian correlations hold, but in a more limited
> way than had been thought (he rejected the head-dependent theory in
> favour of the branching-direction theory).
>
> Second, the "need to understand language systems in a diachronic
> manner" *didn't* need to be lighlighted, because it was something that
> linguists had routinely done since the 19th century, and the idea was
> made very prominent again by Greenberg himself (e.g. Greenberg 1969;
> 1978; see also Croft's well-known work).
>
> Third, linguists knew that "different routes can be taken in different
> families at different times", so this was *not* a contribution of your
> paper either.
>
> I don't know about "rigorous" reviewing in high-profile journals (they
> certainly have a high rejection rate), but I think it is clear that
> their influence is not always justified by the validity of their
> research results. Publishing a paper in /Nature/ can have a chilling
> effect on the rest of the discipline, in that other approaches or
> views may not be seen as legitimate anymore. (We saw the bad effects
> of the outsize political influence of high-profile journals in recent
> years, when some of them declared the lab-leak theory and certain
> alternative approaches to public health as wrong, quite prematurely,
> and with devastating effects on the public discussion.)
>
> So one of my reasons for raising the problems with the 2011 paper here
> is to point out that while the correlated-evolution method may have
> its advantages, it requires a huge amount of data (and very
> [...]

Prof. Dr. Gerhard Jäger
Universität Tübingen
Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft
Tel.: +49-7071-29-77302