[Lingtyp] Greenbergian word order universals: confirmed after all

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Nov 7 14:03:02 UTC 2023

Many thanks, Guillaume, for your post and the link to your paper
(Pellard et al.), which looks very useful.

As you say, the reliability of these studies hinges on the cognate
coding, which is done manually, by humans with their biases. I'm
wondering if there is a way to measure the degree to which different
linguists agree or not (by some kind of kappa statistic), and a way to
identify or exclude systematic biases (which are part of normal human
behaviour). Another thing that I worry about is that grammatical markers
(even demonstratives and interrogatives) are ignored (see the list of
170 comparison meanings in IE-COR: https://iecor.clld.org/parameters),
even though we know that these are the most resistant to borrowing.
Especially in closely related languages, it's very hard to distinguish
lexical loanwords from inherited words, isn't it? (For example, Dutch
begrijpen 'understand' is said to have been borrowed from German
https://wold.clld.org/word/72181920155924122, but without the rich
attestation of both languages since the Middle Ages, we wouldn't be able
to tell.)

So it is my feeling that looking at unrelated languages is much safer in
typology. And I don't understand why Simon Greenhill said (about the
proposal to sample only one language from a family):

"But then what does this mean when you take one language from a family
like Austronesian with ~1300 languages and a one from a family like
Eastern Trans-Fly with 4 languages. This means that you've sampled
0.0007% of Austronesian but 1/4 of ETF. This feels wrong."

It doesn't feel wrong to me at all, just as it doesn't feel wrong to
treat large languages like Russian in the same way as small languages
like Sorbian. They have many more speakers, but these speakers are not
independent of each other; in the same way, Austronesian speakers are
not independent of each other, so a genealogically stratified sample
would have only one Austronesian language (one that is at least 30
languages away from Papuan languages).

Best,

Martin

--