[Lingtyp] Novel future markers banned from negative contexts

Alexander Coupe ARCoupe at ntu.edu.sg
Wed Nov 22 09:14:40 UTC 2023

Dear Omri,

Mongsen Ao (Tibeto-Burman, Nagaland NE India) is a language with a newly-grammaticalized immediate future whose source, I believe, is a purposive nominalizer. A verb stem inflected with the immediate future cannot be negated. A non-realized negated event instead requires the irrealis marker. Another peculiarity of the immediate future is that a speaker requires epistemic authority to predict the immediate occurrence of an event encoded by the immediate future.

Coupe, A. R. (2013). Tense, but in the mood : diachronic perspectives on the representation of time in Ao. Language and linguistics, 14(6), 1105-1138. https://dr.ntu.edu.sg/handle/10356/101726

Best,
Alec

--
Assoc. Prof. Alexander R. Coupe, Ph.D. | Associate Chair (Research) | School of Humanities | Nanyang Technological University
48 Nanyang Avenue, SHHK-03-84D, Singapore 639818