[Lingtyp] Novel future markers banned from negative contexts

Wiemer, Bjoern wiemerb at uni-mainz.de
Wed Nov 22 17:12:59 UTC 2023

Dear All,
I would like to support the general point made by Timur (at he beginning of his mail, see below). However, I wonder whether you are also interested in scenarios in which a contemporary stage of (near) suppletion as for polarity in future marking reflects an older parallel development of “rivalling” source constructions for the future. If yes, Balkan Slavic (Macedonian, Bulgarian) is probably a case you should consider.
               In general, contemporary Bulgarian and Macedonian mark non-negated future with a verbal proclitic that succeeds on WANT (prs.3sg), while with negation rather a marker is used that results from a fusion of NEG with (prs.3sg) HAVE plus an irrealis marker (also a verbal proclitic). However, forms of either source verb are also used “the other way around”: HAVE (prs.3sg) + irrealis marker for “obligational future” without negation (compare with the type which is widespread among Romance languages), and WANT (prs.3sg) with negation (and possibly plus the irrealis marker) to rather mark weakened epistemic support (in assumptions etc.).

In case you are interested in this, please let me know.

I have a question myself. Shouldn’t we in general expect an (immediate) future developing from a prospective/proximative construction to be restricted to assertive utterances? It seems pragmatically a little bit far-fetched to utter assumptions about what is not going to happen; at least, I guess happens considerably less often in everyday speakers’ life (of whatever language).

Best,
Björn Wiemer.