[Lingtyp] Indexes fossilizing

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Thu Nov 30 15:01:52 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Isn't Watkin's Law relevant here?  --- "third person markers are reanalyzed
as part of the verbal stem, giving thus rise to zero marking in the third
person” (Bickel et al. 2015), a process that Watkins posited to account for
the reanalysis of the 3SG ending -t as part of the verbal stem in the course
of development from Proto-Iranian to Persian (Watkins 1962: 94). Eugen Hill
has also written about this recently and substantially.

Eitan

Bickel, Balthasar, Alena Witzlack-Makarevich, Taras Zakharko & Giorgio
Iemmolo. 2015.

Exploring diachronic universals of agreement: Alignment patterns and zero
marking across

person categories. In Jürg Fleischer, Elisabeth Rieken & Paul Widmer
(eds.), Agreement

from a diachronic perspective, 29–52. Berlin: De Gruyter Mouton.

Watkins, Calvert. 1962. Indo-European origins of the Celtic verb, Vol. 1: The
sigmatic aorist.

Dublin: Institute for Advanced Studies.

Eitan Grossman
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972 2 588 3809