[Lingtyp] typology projects that use inter-rater reliability?

William Croft wacroft at icloud.com
Mon Oct 16 13:52:00 UTC 2023

An early cross-linguistic study with multiple annotators is this one:

Gundel, Jeannette K., Nancy Hedberg & Ron Zacharski. 1993. Cognitive status and the form of referring expressions in discourse. Language 69.274-307.

It doesn’t have all the documentation that Volker suggests; our standards for providing documentation has risen.

I have been involved in annotation projects in natural language processing, where the aim is to annotate corpora so that automated methods can “learn” the annotation categories from the “gold standard” (i.e. “expert”) annotation -- this is supervised learning in NLP. Recent efforts are aiming at developing a single annotation scheme for use across languages, such as Universal Dependencies (for syntactic annotation), Uniform Meaning Representation (for semantic annotation), and Unimorph (for morphological annotation). My experience is somewhat similar to Volker’s: even when the annotation scheme is very coarse-grained (from a theoretical linguist’s point of view), getting good enough interannotator agreement is hard, even when the annotators are the ones who designed the scheme, or are native speakers or have done fieldwork on the language. I would add to Volker’s comments that one has to be trained for annotation; but that training can introduce (mostly implicit) bases, at least in the eyes of proponents of a different theoretical approach -- something that is more apparent in a field such as linguistics where there are large differences in theoretical approaches.

Bill