[Lingtyp] 回复: argument structure

Wu Jianming wu.jianming2011 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 2 04:16:26 UTC 2023

Hi Randy,
       As I always mentioned, the topic-comment and SVO structures can coexist in Chinese language and they are differently-oriented.  However, when you emphasize a topic-comment approach only, you may potentially udnerestimate the underlying logic and semantics that play a crucial role in accurately interpreting and expressing Chinese ideas.  (There was a reason why Romans borrowed “grammatikḗ”  and word classes from Greeks).
      When you mention “a fixed AVP structure”, I  suppose you mentioned the coginitvie structure. Yet it is of course fixed. The encoding of human language always tends to preserve cognitive experience as much as possible (Givón 1985:189).   In the sentences 我喝咖啡" (I drink coffee), "一锅饭吃十个人" (One pot of rice feeds ten people) and "这匹马骑过许多人" (this horse has been ridden by many people),  The differentiation of semantic roles on either side of the verb is a functional similarity found in other languages with agreement or case markers. While this evidence may seem insignificant, it provides a formal basis for such means of differentiation, esp. in the isolating languages.
      However, the latter two sentences of PVA order are barely encountered in corpora or everyday language use (almost none). And they can not be used to show that Chinese is solely topic-comment.  I think it is not right to prioritize a single framework over others in all circumstances.

Regards,

Jianming Wu

Institute of Linguistics
Shanghai International Studies University

Windows 版邮件<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>发送