[Lingtyp] Expletive NEG and scalar additive 'until' clauses

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 7 12:27:22 UTC 2023

Hi Bastian,

Yes, you are right. The notion of (un)likelihood in regard to scalar
additives has long been debunked.

But, it seems, based on natural discourse data of Nahuatl and
other Mesoamerican languages, that scalar additive *asta* ‘until’ clauses
are always situated at the most unlikely point along a scale of
(un)likelihood with respect to contextually relevant alternatives. This has
been termed absolute non-endpoint-marking (Shwenter 1999, 2000).