[Lingtyp] the favorative clitic

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Tue Sep 12 11:28:57 UTC 2023

Am 12.09.23 um 13:17 schrieb Bastian Persohn:
> Concerning your initial question, what about labeling the 'want to'
> clitic a /volitive/, making /desiderative/ being available as a
> replacement for /favorative/?
> --
Though this is leading a little bit astray:
In the terminology which I have inherited since student times,
'optative' and 'desiderative' share the semantic component of 'wish',
but at different levels of propositional structure. 'Volitive'
represents the semantic component 'will' (in the sense of 'intention' or
'willingness'). There are contexts in which the difference matters.
---

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4
99092 Erfurt