[Lingtyp] IHRCs and verb-final order

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Fri Feb 2 19:17:47 UTC 2024

Dear Jürgen,

probably the most recent description of an internally headed relative
clause is:

González Campos, Guillermo & Lehmann, Christian 2021, “The Cabecar
relative clause”. /International Journal of American Linguistics/ 87/2:
243-278.[download
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350590028_The_Cabecar_Relative_Clause>]

The language allows, but does not force verb-final order.

Best, Christian

Am 02.02.2024 um 15:56 schrieb Juergen Bohnemeyer:

> Dear all – A query on behalf of an advisee, Luis Ulloa: It has been
> known since at least Keenan (1985)* that internally-headed relative
> clauses (IHRCs) occur predominantly or exclusively in verb-final
> languages. We are looking for any additional literature that has
> probed into this apparent nexus between IHRCs and verb-final basic
> order. Thanks! – Juergen
>
> (* Thanks to Matthew Dryer for pointing me to Keenan’s chapter. I was
> sure I had read about the pattern, but couldn’t remember where.)
>
> Keenan, E. L. (1985). Relative clauses. In T. Shopen (ed.), /Language
> typology and syntactic description vol. II/. Cambridge: Cambridge
> University Press. 141-170.
>
> Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
> Professor, Department of Linguistics
> University at Buffalo
>
> Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
> Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
> Phone: (716) 645 0127
> Fax: (716) 645 3825
> Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu <mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
> Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/
> <http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/>
>
> Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID
> 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)
>
> There’s A Crack In Everything - That’s How The Light Gets In
> (Leonard Cohen)

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4
99092 Erfurt