[Lingtyp] Challenges for Computer-Assisted Language Comparison (Workshop at ICHL 27)

Frederic Blum frederic_blum at eva.mpg.de
Tue Jul 30 12:26:49 UTC 2024

Dear LingTyp community,

We are looking forward for submissions to our workshop "Challenges for
Computer-Assisted Language Comparison (Workshop at ICHL 27)", to be held
at the ICHL 27 in Chile next year. Please send us your submissions until
30.09.2024 at ichl25 at calclab.org. You can find more information in the
attached abstract as well as here: https://ichl27santiago.cl/about-us/

          */CALL
          /*

In contrast to purely computational approaches in historical linguistics
that try to do without human annotation, computer-assisted language
comparison aims to reconcile computational and classical approaches in
historical language comparison by providing interactive workflows in
which data are passed back and forth between humans and machines (List
2017). Computational approaches are mostly employed to preprocess
linguistic data, while interfaces then allow experts to refine and
correct computational annotation.

While some workflows and tools have been published that illustrate the
benefits of computer-assisted as opposed to purely computer-based or
purely manual approaches in historical linguistics (Wu et al. 2020; Hill
and List 2017; Segerer and Flavier 2015; Starostin 2000), there remain
many tasks in historical linguistics where computational and
computer-assisted approaches are lacking so far. These include, for
example, /semantic reconstruction/ (Urban 2015), /phonological
reconstruction/ (Anttila 1972), and /sound law induction/ and the
establishment of /relative chronologies/ (Fortson 2014).

For the workshop that will — pending final evaluation — be organized as
part of the 27^th International Conference on Historical Linguistics in
Santiago de Chile (18-22 August, 2025), we invite contributions from
both classical and computational linguistics who present open problems
and potential solutions in historical language comparison that have so
far not been addressed sufficiently in computer-assisted approaches. Our
hope is that we find a good mix of contributions in which classical
linguists present problems that cannot be addressed by computational
approaches and illustrate how they solve them manually, while we also
hope for contributions by computational linguists who share recently
developed workflows that can be applied to data in historical linguistics.

          DETAILS

Those interested in contributing to the workshop are kindly asked to
send an abstract in the form to ichl25 at calclab.orgattaching the abstract
in the form of a DOCX document with an accompanying PDF, in anonymized
form, providing your name and affiliation in the email. We will then
review the contributions with an internal team of reviewers and inform
all who submitted an abstract until *30 of September 2024* about the
outcome. In case of success, the workshop will be held at the ICHL
conference in Santiago de Chile.

When submittin gyour abstract in DOCX form, please make sure that the
abstract has no more than 800 words in length, excluding references (see
also the official ICHL requirements for details at
https://ichl27santiago.cl/about-us/). Abstracts can be submitted in
English and Spanish.