[Lingtyp] Zero verb root in Papuan languages

Christian Döhler christian.doehler at posteo.de
Fri Mar 1 12:33:40 UTC 2024

Dear Joe,

Since you ask about Papuan languages, and since the discussion has
already moved away from "zero root" to let's say "small phonological
material": Komnzo spoken in the Morehead district has two stems for verb
lexemes for expressing different aspectual distinctions. One of the two
stems tends to be shorter, and for high frequency verbs the stem is
often just a single consonant.

  * Döhler, Christian (2018). /A grammar of Komnzo/. Berlin: Language
    Science Press.

a few examples are:

*concept
* 	*infinitive (-si)