[Lingtyp] Body and soul / body and mind

Mark Donohue mhdonohue at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 01:27:20 UTC 2024

Dear all,

Many languages from around Indonesia seem to have a three-way contrast in
the conceptualisation of what makes a human:

* body
* centre-of-cognition
* centre-of-feeling/emotion

The centre of feeling is typically the liver; the centre-of-cognition is
typically not the liver, but I haven't seen strong evidence for a
generalisation about where different cultures place; it depends on the
language.

-Mark