[Lingtyp] Cross-linguistic research on "binding" domains and the (non)complementarilty of pronouns and reflexives

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Tue Mar 26 14:45:06 UTC 2024

On reflexives and other anaphoric pronouns, I would point to the
following recent works (the last three of them rather generative):

Cole, Peter & Hermon, Gabriella & Yanti. 2015. Grammar of binding in the
languages of the world: Innate or learned? /Cognition/ 141. 138–160.
(doi:10.1016/j.cognition.2015.04.005
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cognition.2015.04.005>)
Janic, Katarzyna & Puddu, Nicoletta & Haspelmath, Martin (eds.). 2023.
/Reflexive constructions in the world’s languages/. Berlin: Language
Science Press. (https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/284)
Middleton, Hannah Jane. 2020. /*ABA syncretism patterns in pronominal
morphology/. /Doctoral thesis, UCL (University College London)./ London:
UCL (University College London). (PhD thesis.)
(https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10105591/)
Müller, Stefan. 2021. Anaphoric binding. In Müller, Stefan & Abeillé,
Anne & Borsley, Robert D. & Koenig, Jean-Pierre (eds.), /Head-driven
Phrase Structure Grammar: The handbook/. Berlin: Language Science Press.
(https://hpsg.hu-berlin.de/Projects/HPSG-handbook/)
Varaschin, Giuseppe. 2021. /A Simpler Syntax of anaphora/.
Florianópolis: Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina. (PhD thesis.)
(https://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/006153)

But this literature is not easy to get into, and I find the very notion
of "binding" confused (it seems to presuppose the notion of c-command,
which is based on tree structures that are themselves often argued for
on the basis of certain anaphoric constructions).

It seems that Hornstein's (2024) book continues to assume that the
generalizations of the GB [Government-Binding] era (the 1980s) were
basically right. Compare this instructive 2018 blog post, where he says
that "GB provided the first outlines of what a plausible [UG] might look
like, one that had grounding in facts about actual [grammars]":
https://facultyoflanguage.blogspot.com/2018/09/generative-grammars-chomsky-problem.html.
Beyond that, Hornstein does not seem to have taken an interest in
research on cross-linguistic diversity.

Levinson (1987; 1991; 2000) has of course pointed out that the
complementarity that Hornstein presupposes is far from universal.

Martin

On 26.03.24 10:04, Adam James Ross Tallman via Lingtyp wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I apologize for the long title and obtuse topic :)
>
> In a recent book praising the new advances of minimalist syntax
> Hornstein called /The Merge Hypothesis/ states
>
> "Cross-linguistic work on binding has shown the complementary
> distribution of reflexives and bound pronouns to be robust across
> natural languages, and so deriving the complementarity has become a
> boundary condition on the empirical adequacy of binding theories." (p.24)
>
> I found this comment somewhat surprising because I thought
> noncomplementarity between pronouns and reflexives had been shown by
> Levinson (see "Pragmatic reduction of the binding principles
> revisited") at least in some cases ... ?
>
> I suppose though that this comment implicitly discards "marginal" or
> "peripheral" cases. As we all know there is a well established
> methodology for discarding outlier cases, and so we need not worry at all.
>
> Anyways, I'm interested in the following:
>
> 1. Work on the (non)complementarity of reflexives and pronouns in
> languages apart from English.
>
> 2. Typological (more than one language) work on this question showing
> how the domains that licit pronouns and reflexives should be established.
>
> best,
>
> Adam
>

> --
> Adam J.R. Tallman