6.1719, Qs: Numerals, Consonants, Humour, r/l

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Dec 8 16:04:02 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1719. Fri Dec 8 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  139

Subject: 6.1719, Qs: Numerals, Consonants, Humour, r/l

                           REMINDER

Date:  Thu, 07 Dec 1995 15:48:52 +0300
From:  aeojeda at ucdavis.edu (Almerindo E. Ojeda)
Subject:  Collective numerals

2)
Date:  Tue, 05 Dec 1995 09:59:02 GMT
From:  pss126 at bangor.ac.uk (Lee)
Subject:  English consonants

3)
Date:  Thu, 07 Dec 1995 14:40:41 GMT
From:  SEN4SH at cardiff.ac.uk
Subject:   Gender and humour

4)
Date:  Thu, 07 Dec 1995 08:53:43 +1030
From:  mcconvell_p at uncl04.ntu.edu.au
Subject:  Query:r/l

Date:  Thu, 07 Dec 1995 15:48:52 +0300
From:  aeojeda at ucdavis.edu (Almerindo E. Ojeda)

Some languages have, alongside a series of cardinal numerals, a series
of collective numerals. While cardinal numerals are used to count ind-
ividuals, collective numerals are used to count either individuals in
a group, or else groups of individuals (including the groups denoted by
pluralia tantum). One language which had both cardinals and collectives
was Latin (cf. tres boves 'three oxen' but trinos boves 'group of three
oxen' or 'three yokes or pairs of oxen'). Outside Latin, collective num-
erals are found in Balto-Slavic, Old Icelandic, Irish, Finnish, Mongol-
ian, and Greenlandic.

I would appreciate help in identifying other languages with collective
numerals (and reliable descriptions of their uses).

Please send replies to <aeojeda at ucdavis.edu>. I will post a summary.