6.895, Disc: English only

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 28 00:55:23 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-895. Tue Jun 27 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  288

Subject: 6.895, Disc: English only

Assoc. Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Thu, 22 Jun 1995 17:10:48 EST
From:  CNELSON at VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU ("Dr. Christian K. Nelson")
Subject:       Re: 6.832, Sum:  Banned German, "English Only"

2)
Date:  Tue, 27 Jun 1995 00:39:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  English-only/backlash

Date:  Thu, 22 Jun 1995 17:10:48 EST
From:  CNELSON at VM.CC.PURDUE.EDU ("Dr. Christian K. Nelson")

In a recent posting regarding "English Only" movements in the US, James
Kirchner quotes a passage of mine a bit out of context, and provides a
bit of commentary that I think is a bit off-target.

First, let me note that my comments were made in response to Kirchner's
private citation of surveys which suggest that a majority of Californian
Hispanics favor some form of the "English only" initiatives.  James
suggested that such survey results were support for those initiatives.
My comments were made to suggest that such survey results aren't so
transparently meaningful, since oppressed groups have even organized
their own extermination at oppressor's bidding.  In his last linguist
post James states these sentiments are "hyperbolic."  Perhaps they would
be hyperbolic if I were comparing linguistic oppression with genocide,
but I am *not*.  Deprivation of life is qualitatively different than
deprivation of language (though some might want to argue that a life
without one's language is not much of a life).  Indeed, rather than
comparing apples and oranges, I was using the extreme (and historically
factual) example of people facilitating their own deaths in order to
point out that people are capable of the much less extreme action of
participating in the oppression of their own language.

Given that my comments were in response to a private post (albeit initiated
by a post on linguist), my comments were a bit less than painstakingly
accurate.  Thus, I apologize to Professor Woolard for any inaccuracies in
my representation of her research as reported on this list--its been some
time since that graduate class in Madison.

Chris Nelson cnelson at vm.cc.purdue.edu