6.399 Qs: Checker program, Nahuatl/Sp, Korean corpus, Study in Italy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Mar 20 22:57:42 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-399. Mon 20 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 126

Subject: 6.399 Qs: Checker program, Nahuatl/Sp, Korean corpus, Study in Italy

                           REMINDER

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 13:07:54 +1030
From: "David M. W. Powers" (powers at ist.flinders.edu.au)
Subject: Grammar, Spell and Style checkers

2)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 19:54:21 -0800 (PST)
From: David Ganelin (ganelin at netcom.com)
Subject: Nahuatl/Spanish Lexical Diffusion

3)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:04:13 +0200 (EET)
From: HAKALIN at cc.Helsinki.FI
Subject: Korean corpus

4)
Date:   Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:40:11 -1000
From: Ricky Jacobs (rjacobs at uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu)
Subject: Italy literacy/bilingualism

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 13:07:54 +1030
From: "David M. W. Powers" (powers at ist.flinders.edu.au)

I am writing on behalf of two (Honours/Masters) students, one seeking to write
a better Spell/Grammar checker, the other trying to analyze the performance of
human proofreaders/browsers across genre/sublanguage/context and compare with
checker programs.

Can anyone help with references to:

* Algorithms used in (commercial or PD) Grammar, Spell and Style checkers
* Critiques or reviews of such programs, algorithms or other techniques
* Studies of human attention to correctness within or across paradigm
* Studies classifying (frequent) errors in text
* Corpora with before and after versions of (human) corrected text

We are primarily interested in errors made by native speakers, but references
addressing errors made by OCR systems or non-native speakers may also be
helpful.  We are similarly focussing on English, but references relating to
other European languages would also be gladly received.

Please respond directly to me.  I/we will summarize to the list if there is
interest.  Thanks in advance for your help.

David Powers
--      powers at acm.org   http://www.cs.flinders.edu.au/people/DMWPowers.html
Associate Professor David Powers                David.Powers at flinders.edu.au
        SIGART Editor; SIGNLL Chair             Facsimile:    +61-8-201-3626
Department of Computer Science                  UniOffice:    +61-8-201-3663
The Flinders University of South Australia      Secretary:    +61-8-201-2662
GPO Box 2100, Adelaide  South Australia 5001    HomePhone:    +61-8-357-4220