6.412 FYI: Optimality workshop, Mathematical modelling workshop

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Mar 22 07:01:20 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-412. Wed 22 Mar 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 112

Subject: 6.412 FYI: Optimality workshop, Mathematical modelling workshop

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:19:30 -0600 (CST)
From: Edith A Moravcsik (edith at csd.uwm.edu)
Subject: Optimality Workshop in Milwaukee

2)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 11:04:38 EST
From: Don Ringe (dringe at unagi.cis.upenn.edu)
Subject: workshop at U of PA

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 09:19:30 -0600 (CST)
From: Edith A Moravcsik (edith at csd.uwm.edu)

The workshop on OPTIMALITY THEORY, originally announced as tentative,
WILL be held on SATURDAY, APRIL 8, at the University of Wisconsin-
Milwaukee (Golda Meir Library Conference Center, Main Library Building
(2311 E. Hartford Avenue), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Campus).

This is a relatively introductory-level one-day course in Optimality
Theory geared mostly towards linguists but also accessible to psychologists,
philosophers, and computer scientists. The morning session (9-12)
will be devoted to phonology and the afternoon session (2-5) to syntax.
Our speakers for the two sessions are Heather Goad (McGill University)
and Peggy Speas (UMass), respectively.

Since we would like to facilitate discussion during the sessions,
attendance will be limited to 50 people. At this point, we still have room.
If you wish to register, send your check to Edith Moravcsik
                                            Department of Linguistics
                                            University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
                                            Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413,
made out to UWM Linguistics Symposium.

Registration fees are as follows:
    - general: $30.00 for half a day      - student: $25.00 for half a day
               $50.00 for the whole day              $45.00 for the whole day

If you decide to register at some time closer to April 8, please check with
us first to make sure we have not reached capacity.

For overnight accomodation, call the Astor Hotel at (414) 271-4220 or
the Park East Hotel at (414) 276-8800. Both are within easy driving
distance to campus and also on a direct bus line. Van service may also
be available.

If you have any questions, please e-mail edith at csd.uwm.edu
or call Edith Moravcsik at (414) 229-6794 (office) or (414) 332-0141 (home).