6.1267, Qs: Pronouns, Lg data, Root-epistemic contrast, Chinese syntax

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Sep 18 14:31:53 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1267. Mon Sep 18 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  190

Subject: 6.1267, Qs: Pronouns, Lg data, Root-epistemic contrast, Chinese syntax

                           REMINDER

Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:57:13 -0000
From:  fanselow at rz.uni-potsdam.de ("Gisbert Fanselow")
Subject:        1st person: sg. vs. pl.

2)
Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:13:27 +0200
From:  lager at ling.gu.se (Torbj|rn Lager)
Subject:  Language data

3)
Date:  Sun, 17 Sep 1995 14:33:50 CDT
From:  BRENNAVM at ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Subject:  query root-epistemic references

4)
Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 00:41:05 BST
From:  sackmann at zedat.fu-berlin.de ("Robin Sackmann")
Subject:        Qs: Syntactic categories in Chinese

Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 11:57:13 -0000
From:  fanselow at rz.uni-potsdam.de ("Gisbert Fanselow")

German does not distinguish reflexive and personal pronouns for 1st
and 2nd person.
1st ps. singular pronouns cannot be bound, as can be seen from the
following data:

(1) Nur ich liebe mich (only I like me)
just means
only for x = speaker: x likes speaker

(1) CANNOT mean:
only for x=speaker: x likes x
(in contrast to: Nur Hans liebt sich, only Hans loves himself)

Similarly:
(2) Nur ich denke, dass ich intelligent bin
(only I think that I intelligent am)
means:
only for x=speaker: x thinks that the speaker is intellingt
(2) cannot mean
only for x=speaker: x thinks that x is intelligent
(in contrast to: nur Hans denkt, dass er intelligent ist, only Hans
believes that he is intelligent)

(3) Nur ich liebe meine Frau (ony I love my wife)
O.K.: only for x= speaker: x loves speaker's wife
NOT: only for x=speakr: x loves x's wife

The facts are somewhat obscured in structures of the kind (1): as
soon as an "inherent reflexive" interpretation is available, binding
is strongly preferred:

(4) nur ich wasche mich (only I wash myself)

1st person plural pronouns can be bound:

(5) nur wir lieben uns 'only we love us'
can be interpreted as:
only for x= WE: x loves us
and as
only for x=WE: x loves x

(6) is also ambiguous:

(6) nur wir denken, dass wir intelligent sind
only we think that we intelligent are

(6a): only for x=WE: x thinks that we are intelligent
(6b) only for x=WE: x thinks that x is intelligent

(7) Nur wir lieben unsere Frauen (only we love our wives)
only for x=WE: x loves WE's wives
only for x=WE. x loves x's wife

2nd person pronouns behave excatly the same way: no binding in
the singular, but ambiguities in the plural.

My questions are:
(a) Do other languages share these properties?
(b) Why are the data the way they are?

fanselow at rz.uni-potsdam.de
(Dept. of Lx, University of Potsdam)