7.1794, Disc: Analogy

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 19 15:34:24 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1794. Thu Dec 19 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 7.1794, Disc: Analogy

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 18 Dec 1996 09:25:18 -0600
From:  "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <geoffn at siu.edu>
Subject:  Re: 7.1784, Disc: Analogy

2)
Date:  Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:31:28 -0500
From:  Stirling Newberry <allegro at thecia.net>

3)
Date:  Thu, 19 Dec 1996 21:24:55 -0800
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Analogy: synchronic and historical

Date:  Wed, 18 Dec 1996 09:25:18 -0600
From:  "Geoffrey S. Nathan" <geoffn at siu.edu>

	While it is interesting to see the old debates about the role
of analogy rehashed I think that one of the issues that is crucial has
only barely been touched on--the importance of form-meaning pairs as a
base for analogies.  While a facetious example of "I see the barn red"
was just posted (in which rose-colored glasses figured) I would like
to return to the question of why such analogies do not occur.  It
seems to me that those who argued for semantic anomalies have the
upper hand here, because we can easily create such analogies given
changes in world conditions.
	Consider, for example, a world similar to that proposed in The
Lathe of Heaven in which some person has the ability to change the
color of objects merely by choosing to see them that way.  In such a
case

1)	I saw the barn red.

becomes grammatical in just the same way as

2)	I painted the barn red.

	A change in the MEANING of `see' (or perhaps in the state of
affairs in the world) renders the analogy fine.  No special
grammatical mechanisms are required, and the sentence is perfectly
grammatical.  The anomaly in the current reading of the analogized
sentence rests in the meaning of `see', not in a violation of some
structural conditions.  So, while analogy may indeed depend on some
grammatical conditions (such as whether a word is a noun or a verb)
what rules out the analogy in the famous video case is semantic, not
structural.

Geoff Nathan