7.247, Calls: Models of lang, Spoken dialogue at ECAI

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Feb 16 01:02:31 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-247. Thu Feb 15 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  255

Subject: 7.247, Calls: Models of lang, Spoken dialogue at ECAI

Date:  Wed, 14 Feb 1996 19:23:10 PST
From:  <kornai at almaden.ibm.com> (Andras Kornai)
Subject:  Call For Papers: Extended finite state models of language

2)
Date:  Thu, 15 Feb 1996 12:10:13 EST
From:  susann at azrael.mitre.org (Susann LuperFoy)
Subject:  Workshop on Spoken Dialogue at ECAI

Date:  Wed, 14 Feb 1996 19:23:10 PST
From:  <kornai at almaden.ibm.com> (Andras Kornai)

                        CALL FOR PAPERS
ECAI '96 workshop on "Extended finite state models of language"
                  Aug 11-12, Budapest, Hungary

Organizing Committee: Eva Ejerhed, Umea University (chair)
Frederic Jelinek, Johns Hopkins University
Lauri Karttunen, Xerox PARC and Rank Xerox Research Center
Andras Kornai, IBM Almaden Research Center

In spite of the wide availability of more powerful (context-free,
mildly context-sensitive, and even Turing-equivalent) formalisms, the
bulk of the applied work on language and sublanguage modeling is
actually performed by (extended) finite state methods where most of
execution time is spent in a state machine. The goal of the workshop
is to bring together those developing and using such methods to text
analysis, speech/OCR language modeling, and related CL and NLP tasks
with those in AI and CS interested in analyzing and possibly extending
the domain of finite-state algorithms. For a more detailed call, list
of confirmed papers, deadlines, and submission details (electronic
submissions preferred) see http://www.cs.rice.edu/~andras/ecai.html.

Andras Kornai
IBM Research Division, DPE/803
Almaden Research Center