7.890, Disc: Equality among languages

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 13 19:21:07 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-890. Thu Jun 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  435

Subject: 7.890, Disc: Equality among languages

Date:  Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:51:16 PDT
From:  protol9 at mail.idt.net (Patrick Ryan)
Subject:  Re: 7.865, Disc: Equality Among Languages

2)
Date:  Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:17:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  ling equality/practicality

3)
Date:  Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:01:59 -0000
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu
Subject:  re: 7.865 "equality" among languages

4)
Date:  Tue, 11 Jun 1996 21:22:05 PDT
From:  macswan at UCLA.EDU (Jeff MacSwan)

Date:  Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:51:16 PDT
From:  protol9 at mail.idt.net (Patrick Ryan)

Regarding vol-7-865:

  Date:  Monday, 10 Jun 1996 19:32 CDT
  From:  protol9 at mail.idt.net (Pat Ryan)
  Subject:  equality among languages

I think inequality among languages may have been a determining factor
in early civilization.

I believe that the language type which holds the greatest potential
(as of present) for enabling science and complex organization is the
nominative-type as defined by G. A. Klimov in a number of Russian
works which, unfortunately, have not been published in English.

It is so for this reason: nominative languages require an expression
of the transitive subject. It even needs to be expressed when it is
not really appropriate (e.g. "it rains").

Science (ancient, also) and complex organization relies on a clear
perception of the relationship between cause and effect.

In addition, synthetic languages mask the origin of (the morphemes
used for )relationships in such a way that (in)direct and
prepositional objects can be fully integrated into the sentence and
the thought.

Languages like many African languages that can only express what we
would term sentence phrases as virtual separate sentences (to him =
give to him), or those for which the transitive subject can be
expressed but is felt as a non-essential adjunct to the sentence
(ergative-type) may very well have contributed in their way to
limiting the growth or competitiveness of the societies that employed
them.

I am specifically not considering Chinese in this category. Although
grammatical morphemes are rare, word order, to a certain extent,
replaces them; and, for all we know, the language which initiated
China's civilization may have been analytic.

I know this is a sore point because many people will interpret what I
have written as implying an ethnocentric view of language.

Let me briefly digress; I do think analytic nominative-type languages
have an integral relationship with civilization but whether
civilization will be our salvation or our destruction remains yet to
be seen. I do not think of this in absolute terms only in relationship
to the ability to practice "civilization", a form of organized living
that may not be evolutionarily "superior" in the long run.

I apologize in advance whose sensibilities will be offended because
they believe civilization is an absolute positive value; and by
questioning some languages' ability to foster it, they will interpret
my remarks as questioning the value of the people who speak them. I
ask only that my remarks be read again before the vituperations start.