7.1227, Disc: Grammaticalization

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 4 01:03:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1227. Tue Sep 3 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  186

Subject: 7.1227, Disc: Grammaticalization

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony Rodrigues Aristar)

Date:  Sun, 01 Sep 1996 14:29:43 EDT
From:  pesetsk at MIT.EDU (David Pesetsky)
Subject:  Re: 7.1208, Disc: Grammaticalization

2)
Date:  Tue, 03 Sep 1996 12:31:17 EDT
From:  dever at isp.pitt.edu (Dan Everett)
Subject:  Grammaticalization

Date:  Sun, 01 Sep 1996 14:29:43 EDT
From:  pesetsk at MIT.EDU (David Pesetsky)

Perhaps one enters this discussion at one's peril.  Part of the problem is
the notion "Chomskyan paradigm", which is a bit vague.  Let me just make a
few observations and then leave the discussion to the experts.

I expressed puzzlement at Dahl's remark because it seemed to suggest that a
"Chomskyan paradigm" insists on a uniform explanation (UG) for all
apparently universal facts about grammatical structure.  That is not the
Chomskyan paradigm that I know.  Indeed, I think it is quite *universally*
acknowledged that facts about grammars -- including interesting and
significant facts -- may have grammar-external explanations.

For example, Grimshaw's 1981 paper "Form, Function and the Language
Acquisition Device" [in "The Logical Problem of Language Acquisition",
Baker and McCarthy, eds. MIT Press] argues that a particular gap in
syntactic selection does not reflect a property of UG, but arises as an
artifact of the way in which categorization is acquired by the child.

Likewise, I doubt that anyone would find it implausible that certain facts
about grammar *might* arise from (possibly inevitable) paths taken by
historical change -- or from aspects of language use.  If by "Chomskyan"
one refers to Chomsky, there are lots of places in which he's made just
this point.  If by "Chomskyan" one refers more generally to a research
community, one can find lots more to support my general point.

Now about the case at hand, Trask writes:

> The study of
> grammaticalization has seemingly revealed powerful regularities in the
> way speakers use languages, and, at the very least, the Chomskyan
> approach simply has nothing to say about these regularities.
> Moreover, it appears difficult to conceive of how a Chomskyan approach
> could ever have anything interesting to say about them, since the very
> concepts and categories required to characterize these regularities
> (or at least many of them) do not exist in Chomskyan linguistics

Let's suppose the facts of the matter are as Trask states.  It would be
interesting to know whether one can actually show redundancies or
incompatibilities between the "concepts and categories" mentioned by Trask
and concepts of Chomskyan linguistics -- or whether (I think I am agreeing
with Croft here) distinct bodies of work are examining interacting, but
distinct aspects of language.  If the former, then researchers might try to
tease out the truth of the matter.

Others can speak much better than I to the specific historical questions in
dispute here.  I don't understand, frankly, the contrast drawn by Trask
between a view of language change as change in a "more-or-less well-defined
grammar" and facts that might indicate both social and individual
gradualness to language change.  But in any case, the logically prior
issues are the ones raised by Newmeyer -- is the research on
grammaticization correct. I don't want to deflect attention from that
question, since it comes first.

-David Pesetsky

P.S. In his interesting message, Croft quotes a characterization by Chomsky
('idiosyncratic factors, as contrasted with the more significant reality of
UG' [LGB p.8]) as a possible example of why "the regularity and potential
explanatory significance of grammaticalization is in itself perceived as a
challenge to generative grammar".  Actually, the context of that quote
makes quite the opposite point.