7.1251, Qs: Consonants, Forensic ling, Fuzzy phenomena, Vegliote

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Sep 9 01:13:41 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1251. Sun Sep 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  130

Subject: 7.1251, Qs: Consonants, Forensic ling, Fuzzy phenomena, Vegliote

Date:  Fri, 06 Sep 1996 18:16:18 CDT
From:  dharris at las-inc.com (Dave Harris)
Subject:  consonants

2)
Date:  Sun, 08 Sep 1996 13:06:02 CDT
From:  thibalt at cc.UManitoba.CA (Sylvie Thibault)
Subject:  Forensic Linguistics programs

3)
Date:  Sun, 08 Sep 1996 16:53:37 PDT
From:  jiang at bgnet.bgsu.edu (Yue Jiang)
Subject:  Who are interested in the fuzziness in natural language?

4)
Date:  Sun, 08 Sep 1996 20:24:47 EDT
From:  kmb19 at cornell.edu
Subject:  Q: Sources for Vegliote

Date:  Fri, 06 Sep 1996 18:16:18 CDT
From:  dharris at las-inc.com (Dave Harris)

My thanks to those who have replied (and those who hopefully still
will!) to my question regarding like consonants separated by a written
but unpronounced vowel. I am planning to post a summary within the
next few days. In the meantime, I have here a partial list of the
names I pulled off the US census list of 80,000 surnames which qualify
in terms of orthography but perhaps not in terms of pronunciation. I
know for sure that some of these names don't qualify because both
consonants are pronounced. I think it has something to do with being
in an unstressed syllable in Spanish and certain other languages. If
anyone knows of names from these list or from elsewhere that do
qualify with what I'm looking for (written but unpronounced vowel
between two like consonants) please let me know and I'll include this
info in my summary. Thanks again,

Francis, Moses, Jesus, CASAS, MENESES, FRANCES, ENCISO, NARCISSE,
GARCES, LOCOCO, ARAKAKI, ALCOCK, MARCUCCI, DECESARE, BETANCES,
DEFRANCISCO, VERSACE, ELSASSER, ESSES, LOCICERO, NARCISO, DEFRANCESCO,
ROSES, FRANCESE, VILLACIS, VANBEBBER, CASSESE, FRANCESCHINI,
NECESSARY, Moises, Prosise, Basista, Presas, Matsushima, Kassis,
Pensis, Cotsis, FRANCESCONI, DESISTO, BORSOS, ROETCISOENDER, Kansas
City, PRECISE, Cavasos, Rances, Mosses, MISASI, MATUSESKI, LASSESON,
KOKOCINSKI, KAPSOS, CASSISSE, CABIBBO, BISESI, VILLASIS, VILLACRUSIS,
VASOS, VANSISE, TSIATSOS, Tarsis, SIMCIC, SANCES, PLESSIS, MARCISAK,
MAIKOKSOONG, LABABIT, KOVACIC, JEANBAPTISE, JANACEK, IVANCICH, HASAS,
HANSIS, CASASOLA, CAMPOBASSO, VISOSKY, VICCICA, VAVRICEK, ULSES,
THOMASES, SWENCESKI, SPANICEK, SALESSES, SAKAKEENY, ROUSSOS, RESOS,
PRECISSI, POSUSTA, POSIS, LUCIS, LUCIK, LUCIC, LAMPSAS, KOSOSKY,
KNOFLICEK, KLEINSASSER, DERENSIS, DEPIPPO, DEFRANCIS, CURPUPOZ, AIPOPO