8.1752, Qs: Dialect/Language, Swatow Dialect, Conversation

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 5 23:32:09 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1752. Fri Dec 5 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1752, Qs: Dialect/Language, Swatow Dialect, Conversation

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:15:35 +0900
From:  gmodica at fh.seikei.ac.jp
Subject:  Dialect or Language?

2)
Date:  Fri, 05 Dec 1997 20:00:17 +0800
From:  YEUNG YAT FAN <95463089 at plink.cityu.edu.hk>
Subject:  Swatow Dialect

3)
Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:22:14 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jonathan Klein <phaedra at media.mit.edu>
Subject:  Conversational Style

Date:  Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:15:35 +0900
From:  gmodica at fh.seikei.ac.jp

In doing a comparative study of Afrikaans and Dutch one of my students
has come to need a good set of tests for "languagehood". Wasn't it
Weinrich who gave us the famous statement of the political test: "a
dialect with an army and a navy"? I did a quick check and discovered
definitions of dialect/language based on political, geographical,
social (e.g. class, ethnic) measures, but nothing of a linguistic
nature. One linguistic atlas even claimed that there are no linguistic
measures of languagehood. The oftnoted measure of "mutual
intelligibility," which should be stated [-mutual intell.]  =>
[+language], doesn't travel too far as a linguistic variable.

So I put it to the community, are there any linguistic yardsticks by
which we measure (i.e. define) the demarkation of "dialect" and
"language", or do these two terms lack technical sense? (That would be
sad news to dialectologists!) Thank you in advance.

Guy Modica
gmodica at fh.seikei.ac.jp