8.182, Qs: Recommending PhD research, Sonority

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 6 19:16:51 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-182. Thu Feb 6 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.182, Qs: Recommending PhD research, Sonority

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 05 Feb 1997 13:18:44 +0000
From:  Bill Croft <w.croft at man.ac.uk>
Subject:  Ethics of recommending PhD research

2)
Date:  Tue, 4 Feb 1997 14:08:55 -0500
From:  "LAS" <dharris at las-inc.com>
Subject:  ? Sonority Hierarchy

Date:  Wed, 05 Feb 1997 13:18:44 +0000
From:  Bill Croft <w.croft at man.ac.uk>

Most of you out there who teach linguistics encounter
students, perhaps one or two a year, sometimes more,
sometimes less, who either excel at linguistics or are
intent to pursue (post)graduate research in linguistics, or
both. (And others of you reading this list are those
students.) The discovery of these students is one of the
most satisfying things in university teaching---after all,
we were once those students, and they share our passion for
our chosen field.

But I have a moral dilemma in advising them about pursuing
a linguistics research career. On the one hand, these
students' inclinations and abilities mark them out as
future linguists, and for the most part that is what they
want to be. On the other hand, the current job market has
been dreadful for the two decades I have been doing
linguistics, and doesn't look like it is about to change. I
have real ethical problems recommending students to devote
several intense, poverty-stricken years to come out at the
end with little if any prospect of a career---even for the
best students.

Another, morally problematic factor that we must consider
is---to put it most frankly---self-interest, both short-
term and long-term. In the short term, most of us are under
pressure by our universities to admit more research
graduate students; this is true in at least the US and the
UK. If we don't, our departmental funding might be cut, our
Ph.D. program (and their courses) may be eliminated, and
perhaps our department (or our job) will be eliminated as
well. These facts pressure us to encourage not-so-brilliant
students who want to pursue an academic career, or
brilliant students who haven't considered the option, to
pursue PhD study, in order to keep our department an
economically viable segment of the university.

In the long term, these students are the future of our
field, especially for those of us in less popular
subfields. Discouraging them, or not encouraging them, may
lead to the decline or even demise of our subfield, or even
the field as a whole, and none of us wants that either.

So my questions are:

(1) What advice do you give to students in the following
three categories?

(a) an outstanding undergraduate student who wants to
pursue a PhD in linguistics.
(b) an outstanding undergraduate student who has not
expressed an interest in pursuing a PhD in linguistics.
(c) a good but not outstanding undergraduate student who
wants to pursue a PhD in linguistics.

[The advice I currently give is as follows: (a) I tell them
what the job market is really like, and what academia is
really like, and advise them that if they really love what
they are doing and want to spend the next 4-6 years doing
it with the real possibility of having to choose another
career, they should go ahead. This pessimistic perspective
has not stopped any of my students yet, incidentally. (b)
If they have other career interests, I don't try to talk
them into an academic career. (c) I give them the facts of
academic life as for the (a) group, but I don't encourage
them. However, I haven't actively discouraged them either.]

(2) For those of you in small or "non-mainstream" areas of
linguistics, what do you tell students in (1a)-(1c),
including students who have started their PhD courses and
say "I want to do [your subfield], but I don't know if it's
worth it because there are no jobs in it".

[I actually haven't had to give such advice because those
who have come to me have been pretty firm about their
interest in my subfield(s), but I've heard of others in
this situation.]

(3) Are there *sound* reasons for thinking the economic
situation in higher education in the US and/or western
Europe will change significantly for the better in the near
future (i.e. by the time currently finishing undergraduates
would receive a PhD)?

[I should note that for 15 years now I have been reading
that there will be a big improvement in the academic job
market "just around the corner", and I'm still waiting.]

I should make clear that I am referring to advising
students about pursuing a PhD in linguistics. Advising
students to take an undergraduate degree in linguistics is
another story of course, and one that has already been
discussed on this list on a number of occasions.

I will summarize responses to the list (plus my assessment
of whether I should change the advice I give).

Bill Croft