8.33, Sum: _man to do_ parts 1 and 2

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 17 15:33:30 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-33. Fri Jan 17 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.33, Sum: _man to do_ parts 1 and 2

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 16 Jan 97 11:18:00 JST
From:  hiro-t <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Summary: _man to do_ (1)

2)
Date:  Thu, 16 Jan 97 11:20:09 JST
From:  hiro-t <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Summary:_man to do_ (2)

Date:  Thu, 16 Jan 97 11:18:00 JST
From:  hiro-t <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>

Dear Colleagues,
  About a month ago, I posted a query concerning "adjective + man +
to do/PP/that-clause" constructions. I asked you to judge the
acceptabilites of the following sentences. Although there
are too many sentences to judge, 28 people responded to this
investigation. I wish to thank  all of them who helped me doing
this judgement test. Percentage is shown in round figures. From the
results below, I put OK, OK?, ?, ?* and * in each sentence in our
collocational dictionary, which is shown in (  ). Those who responded
are (Sorry if I drop your name):

  Susan Fitt <sue at cstr.ed.ac.uk>
  nancyf at seiden.com (Nancy Frishberg at home)
  "Robert G. Lee" <rglee at bu.edu>
  stephen p spackman <stephen at acm.org>
  "Susan G. Guion" <guionsg at biocom1.bioc.uab.edu>
   wehmeyer at aall.ufl.edu (Ann Wehmeyer)
   claudia.brugman at stonebow.otago.ac.nz (claudia brugman)
   pbryant at nllia.gov.au (Pauline Bryant)
   "Yehuda N. Falk" <msyfalk at pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il>
   ragniren at spidernet.it(Michael Robertson)
   Anthony Jukes <A.Jukes at linguistics.unimelb.edu.au>
   Terry_J._Klokeid at raven.bc.ca (Terry J. Klokeid)
   Deborah Milam Berkley <dberkley at babel.ling.nwu.edu>
   brody at mail.utexas.edu (Michal Brody)
   Allan Wechsler <awechsle at bbn.com>
   mhansell at carleton.edu (Mark Hansell-Mai Hansheng)
   Bill Fisher <billf at jaguar.ncsl.nist.gov>
   Leah Bateman <lmb at harlequin.com>
   "Susan G. Guion" <guionsg at biocom1.bioc.uab.edu>
   Steven Schaufele <fcosws at prairienet.org>
   Elsa Lattey <Elsa.Lattey at uni-tuebingen.de>
   Ricky and Karen Burdette <burdette at edge.net>
   "Virginia P. Clark" <Virginia.Clark at uvm.edu>
   Gerald B Mathias <mathias at hawaii.edu>
   "j. magierowicz" <jennmags at julian.uwo.ca>
   "Max Wheeler" <maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
   lincet at LURE.LATROBE.EDU.AU (Catherine Travis)
   Royle Phaedra <roylep at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA>

   The following are the result of the test, the figures of which are
shown by percentage. And some comments, if any, from some of the
respondents.

Questions about "man."  Are the following sentences acceptable?
(*)(1) an able man to run fast
          *                ?              OK
          96%              4%            0%

(*)(2) an unable man to speak
          *                ?              OK
          96%             4%             0%

(*)(3) an eager man to see the play
          *                ?              OK
         87%              13%            0%

(?)(4) a sorry man to hear that
         *                ?               OK
         66%            8%               36%

(*?)(5) a glad man to go there (I'm sorry I have misspelled
_glad_ for _gald_. Some of the respondents  who did not accept
 this use said _gald_  is not comprehensible.)
         *                ?               OK
        83%             0%              17%

(*)(6) the loath man to speak
        *                ?                OK
        96%             4%              0%

(OK?)(7) a stupid man to do it
       *                ?                 OK
      35%              0%               76%
(Curiously,  only 4%(=*) and 8%(=?) judged (87)(=a full sentence) doubtful,
though.)

(OK)(8) an easy man to handle
       *              ?                  OK
       0%            0%                100%

(*)(9) an interested man in politics
      *               ?                  OK
     92%             4%                 4% (One who accept this phrase
said that it means differently from _a man interested in politics_.)

(*)(10) a blue man in the face
     *               ?                   OK
     92%            8%                  0%

(*)(11) I am a sure[certain, confident] man that you'll like it
     *               ?                   OK
     92%            8%                  0%

(*?)(12) He was a glad[happy, proud] man that he could do it
     *               ?                   OK
     68%            16%                16%

(*?)(13) I'm a worried man to hear about it.
     *               ?                   OK
     60%            26%                 14%

(?)(14) I'm not an appropriate man to tip a bus driver.
     *              ?                    OK
    57%            0%                   43%

(*)(15) He is an apt man to get angry.
    *               ?                    OK
    83%            13%                  4%

(OK)(16) He's an awkward man to deal with.
    *              ?                    OK
    0%            7%                  93%

(OK?)(17) Tom was a bad man to look at. (This sentence means
_Tom was a bad man if he hits those who stare at him_, or
_It was bad to look at Tom_, rather than  _Tom was a bad-looking
man_.)
    *             ?                     OK
    13%          13%                  76%

(OK)(18) Tom was a bad man to drink all the beer.
    *            ?                      Ok
    4%          4%                     92%

(*?)(19) He's an angry[mad] man to hear about it.
    *            ?                      OK
   68%          13%                    19%

(*?)(20) He's an angry man with the news.
    *            ?                    OK
    82%         4%                  14%

(OK)(21) He is a beautiful man to look at.
    *           ?                    OK
    4%         4%                   92%

(OK)(22) He is the best man to do the job.
    *          ?                    OK
    0%        0%                  100%

(OK)(23) Who is the best man to send?
    *            ?                OK
    0%          0%              100%

(OK)(24) He is a big man to let me use his car. (_Big_ in this example
does not mean literal bigness but "excessively kind" or "generous".)
    *           ?                OK
    4%         8%               88%

(*?)(25) He is a blind man to his own faults.
    *          ?                OK
    70%       26%             4%

(OK)(26) He was a brave man to fight a fire.
    *          ?              OK
    8%       0%              92%

(OK)(27) He was a brave man to enter the burning building.
    *           ?            OK
    4%        0%             96%

(OK)(28) You are a bright man to tell her everything.
     *         ?              OK
     4%      8%              88%

(?)(29) He is a busy man with the bank.
     *        ?              OK
     27%     23%            50%

(OK?)(30) He is a busy man running the bank.
    *        ?               OK
   14%      14%            72%

(*)(31) He is a capable man of jealousy, greed, vanity and fear.
   *        ?              OK
  100%     0%             0%

(?)(32) He is a careful man in crossing the streets.
    *         ?           OK
    18%      32%         50%

(?)(33) He is a careful man to stay on the sidewalk.
    *          ?           OK
   18%        36%         46%

(OK)(34) You are a careless man to leave your embrella in the train.
(I don't know why _careless_ sentence is perfeftly OK, but _careful_
sentence is only half OK.)
   *           ?           OK
   0%         0%          100%

(OK)(35) He is a clever man to make so much money.
   *           ?            OK
   0%         0%          100%

(OK?)(36) He is a comfortable man to be with.
    *         ?             OK
    8%       13%           79%

(*?)(37) He was a cool man to her passionate advances.
    *         ?             OK
    70%      22%           8%

(*?)(38) He is a curious man about other people's affairs.
    *         ?              OK
   70%       17%           13%

(*?)(39) He is a curious man to know how the old clock works.
    *          ?             OK
    82%       0%            18%

(*?)(40) He was a deaf man to all my prayers.
     *         ?            OK
     65%      8%           27%

(*?)(41) He is a delicate man to handle.  (This sentence is derived
from so-called "tough construction," however the accpetablity is
unexpectedly low, compared with (8)(=easy man to handle).)
     *         ?            OK
     8%       27%          65%

(*?)(42) John is a familiar man with Mr. Green.
     *         ?            OK
    74%       8%           18%

(*)(43) John is a familiar man with how the machine works.
("100% unacceptable" may come from an awkward wording
_with how S V..._.")
     *         ?            OK
    100%      0%           0%

(?)(44) John is a famous man for playing Hamlet. (This example is
judge very clearly between * and OK. I don't know why and how
I will teach my students.)
     *         ?            OK
     39%      22%          39%

(to be continued)->_manto do_(2)

Hiroaki Tanaka

Associate Professor,
1-1, Minamijousanjima-cho, Tokushima, 770, Japan
Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences,
Tokushima University, Japan

hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp