8.66, Disc: Parsers

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 21 21:28:42 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-66. Tue Jan 21 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.66, Disc: Parsers

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Helen Dry <hdry at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Tue, 31 Dec 1996 19:10:00 -0500
From:  Daniel Sleator <Daniel_Sleator at bobo.link.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject:  Link Grammar parser

2)
Date:  Wed, 01 Jan 1997 16:34:46 -0500
From:  Daniel Sleator <Daniel_Sleator at bobo.link.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject:  PARSER COMPARISON

Date:  Tue, 31 Dec 1996 19:10:00 -0500
From:  Daniel Sleator <Daniel_Sleator at bobo.link.cs.cmu.edu>

I want to thank Derek Bickerton for putting his system up on the web for
evaluation.  (Although I was unable to get through to it.)

In his list of parsers on the web, he neglected to mention the Link
Grammar system originally developed by Davy Temperley and me (and
subsequently extended by John Lafferty and Dennis Grinberg).  To try
it, go to my home page:

                   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~sleator

and choose the "link grammar" option.  You'll be able to test the
system, see a list of English phenomena it covers, get full
documentation, and see references to other work built upon link
grammars.  The grammatical theory upon which this is based has been
published, and the source code and grammar of our system is available
via anonymous FTP.

Some other preliminary demonstrations of work going on in our group can
be found by following the "natural language playground" link from
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dougb.

  Daniel Sleator                 Office: 412-268-7563 (Fax: 412-268-5576)
  Professor of Computer Science  Home:   412-362-8675 (Fax: 412-362-4443)
  Carnegie Mellon University     http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~sleator
  Pittsburgh, PA 15213           sleator at cs.cmu.edu