8.133, Qs: Japanese, Sight, Possessives, Book

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 30 14:56:07 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-133. Thu Jan 30 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.133, Qs: Japanese, Sight, Possessives, Book

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:          Thu, 30 Jan 97 09:13:47 EST
From:  Robert Hamilton <HAMILTN at VM.SC.EDU>
Subject:       Japanese zibun modification

2)
Date:  Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:10:51 +0200
From:  Welcome Sekwati <WelcomeS at css.pwv.gov.za>
Subject:   Some Info on communication between the blind and the sighted.

3)
Date:  Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:34:16 -0500 (EST)
From:  Michael Kliffer <kliffer at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA>
Subject:   English Possessive Datives

4)
Date:  Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:19:28 -0500 (EST)
From:  orozcor <orozcor at acf2.NYU.EDU>
Subject:  Book/publisher query

Date:          Thu, 30 Jan 97 09:13:47 EST
From:  Robert Hamilton <HAMILTN at VM.SC.EDU>

Dear linguists,

Could any native speaker of Japanese tell me whether zibun
('self') allows modification of any sort, either by an adjective
('smart/beautiful self'), determiner ('this/that self'), quantifier
('every/no self'), or whatever?  If zibun can take a clausal or
phrasal modifier that would be relevant too (e.g., can zibun head
a relative clause?).  (I am already familiar with such expressions
as karezisin and zibunzisin, so that is not the sort of modification
I have in mind.)  This question relates to my dissertation
research on binding theory.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Robert Hamilton
hamilton at sc.edu